Sunday, August 23, 2009

I'm a winner!

On Saturday, our ward had an ice cream social and ice cream making contest. Bryan and I both made a batch of ice cream to take, mostly because we weren't sure if there would be much participation from the rest of the ward. And since Bryan and the other ward missionaries were in charge of the event, they wanted it to be a success. Well the event turned out to be very well attended and plenty of people brought ice cream. When they announced the winner of the contest, I was over on a side yard where a bunch of kids were playing. I didn't hear them announce it, but I did hear a big uproar of cheers coming from the group, and figured they had just announced the winner. Little did I know that the winner was me! Bryan told me later and gave me a $10 gift certificate to Baskin Robbins as my prize. I was so surprised and delighted especially because I didn't even have to stuff the ballot box or campaign for people to vote for me. In fact I didn't even make the ice cream with the intent that I wanted to win. I was just doing it to show support to the ward. I suppose some could debate that because my husband was the one counting the votes, that the whole thing was rigged, but Bryan would never lie,...really! Anyway, it was a lot of fun, and because I wasn't around when they announced the winner, I'd like to take this oppertunity to give my exceptance speech. First of all I'd like to thank the Rippys and the Fredericksons for giving an ice cream maker, bowls, and ice cream scoop as their universal wedding gift. I think this was the second time we used it in almost 5 years of marriage, but we are sure glad we have it. Also I'd like to thank those same people for the ice cream recipes that they gave in the gift as well. The butterfinger recipe was the winning ice cream, so I guess in a way this award goes to them too. Thirdly, thank you Bryan for encoraging me to double the amount of butterfinger in the recipe, you were right, the chunkier the better. And finally I'd like to thank the refined taste palates of the members of the Yakima 1st ward, who knew good ice cream when they tasted it, without which none of this might ever have been possible. I love you all!

5 comments:

Maggie said...

Congrats, congrats! We dragged out an old ice cream maker this past week too. No award winning ice cream here though. I am so impressed with your water skills--I try and try but just am so darn wimpy!!

Rischel said...

Congrats Amy, you and Ryan will have to have a show down! He is quite good at making ice cream. First tip on tons of zuch in the garden, find your shredder or (cuisinart) and shred away and put it in 1 cup measurement in ziplocks to freeze away. You will be amazed how a bag or two of this comes in handy for the winter months to make zuchinni bread, chocolate zuchinni cake, or the great casserole. Remind me again and I will email you the casserole recipe. Hope to see you guys next time you come to the temple!!

Doug and Kristi said...

Congratulations! I am so proud to be your sister! If only I could just taste the icecream....mmmmm!

Doug and Kristi said...

By the way, you are really funny! :)

heath said...

Nice acceptance speech. If the ice cream was as good as your speech, it was a clear winner!! ;)